Monday, August 1, 2011

What's wrong with me...

I've gotten questions from a lot of people lately about where I've been, either in the real world or the virtual one. Unfortunately, it's not an exciting answer. I haven't joined the CIA or anything.

I have a disorder called Gastroparesis. I was diagnosed roughly two months ago, and without going into detail, it means that my stomach has stopped working. The actual stomach organ itself has ceased to process what I put into my body. This puts outrageous limits on what I can eat and what will actually give me nutrients if I put it into my body.

I am sick a lot of the time. I'm on some heavy-duty nausea meds that make me drowsy, and it's hard for me to get around. I have no energy and no motivation. I've lost 40 pounds in the last two months, most of which has come off in the last three weeks.

After a stay in the hospital last weekend, I went back to see my doctor, who gave me some new options. I'm on the last kind of medication they can give me. If this doesn't work, we go the surgical route, which means installing an implant into my torso that connects to the part of my brain that tells my stomach what to do. It will, literally, send signals to my brain to tell my stomach to start working properly again. I'm hoping this medicine works. I managed to get to work this morning without any sickness, and that hasn't happened in a while.

This is my last week of work. One of the reasons I'm leaving my job is that I've been so sick lately. I'm thankful that I have a skill that I can use to work from my home. If I didn't, we'd really have a mess on our hands.

So, if I'm not around, it's not simply because I've gone all antisocial. It's because of this. I've been keeping it under wraps for a while because I don't want anyone (except for those who should, like my parents and husband) worrying about me. I'll be fine. Even if I have to have surgery, I'll be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I know you don't want people to worry but sometimes it's good to have people thinking about and praying for you. I'm not all crazy religious, but I believe prayer helps. Even if you are new age, then positive energy helps. Hehe. I cannot believe you've been going through this. Your body is really on strike huh? I thought maybe you just had a severe case of the shingles this time. I really hope this medicine works for you. Either way, yes, you will be ok. In the meantime, I will be praying AND sending you good vibes.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts