Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December already?

It's almost the end of 2010, and I can honestly say, looking back, it's been the most eventful year of my life.
I started the year knowing we were going to have two babies before summer. Getting the news in September of 2009 that we were going to have two instead of one made me nuts. I've never reacted that way about anything. I screamed and cried in the doctor's office, and I seriously thought he was going to have to sedate me. It didn't take much time to get used to the fact, though, that I'd be going home from the hospital with two babies. The only fear was that they'd come too early or be unhealthy since that tends to happen with twins.
By January, my fears had been calmed. I entered the new year fairly prepared for what was only months away form happening. My actual due date was April 10, but we'd been told that if we made it that far, the doctor would do a scheduled C-section at 38 weeks. I didn't possibly see how I could make it that long. In January, the babies were already 4 or 5 pounds each, which was huge for that time in my pregnancy. It was estimated they'd be around 9 pounds if I went the full 40 weeks.
Around February, I began to get irritated with people telling me it would only get harder from here. I knew that! But I also knew that my body was hurting worse than ever before. I could hardly get out of bed, even to go to the bathroom, which had to happen quite frequently. The boys were stretching my belly to proportions I could never imagine it stretching. I had a road map of stretch marks covering my belly. My belly was measuring at 45 weeks when I was only 30 weeks. I hadn't gained very much weight at all, but I felt like a whale. The babies were sucking EVERYTHING out of me.
The beginning of March came, and even though I wasn't due for another six weeks, I began to wish I would give birth. Everyone told me I shouldn't be wishing for it so soon, but I knew they'd be ok. I could tell they were big enough, and the ultrasound tech told me she could see them "Breathing" in the womb already, which meant their lungs were mature. She estimated them at 7 pounds the morning I went in for what was supposed to be my 35 week appointment and monthly ultrasound.
I had began having bad contractions the day before. My parents were there to take me to the doctor, as they had been from the time I couldn't drive anymore. This was a big commitment, as I had appointments every week for the last few months. The morning my mom took me in for the appointment, I had an ultrasound at 6. The second the tech showed up (she was my pal... she did the ultrasounds the whole way through the pregnancy), she said, "Oh, honey, you're in labor."
She went ahead and did the ultrasound and insisted on wheeling me up to the doc's office. She parked me in the waiting room, and then went back to get my nurse. She saw me and immediately took me over the labor and delivery. What I didn't know is that there was a secret tunnel that led from the doc's office to the hospital! Very cool ride.
The boys were 6 lbs. 9 oz. each. Born that morning by C-section.
The first six weeks were so hard, I won't even go into it now.
I went back to work the beginning of May. Because of day care costs, I've had to work two jobs since the end of the summer to now. The time has flown by. I'm so used to being the mother of twins, I rarely even think it's difficult anymore.
When I do have just one baby at home, I often wonder how mothers of one baby could ever have anything to gripe about. It's so easy when there's just one. The hubs and I have definitely become much more of a team. We either had to be a great team or fail monumentally. It's one of those things that's either going to make you stronger or split you up.
I also had to have a hysterectomy at the end of August. I was totally ok with it. I have three beautiful boys, and I don't need to be pregnant anymore!
So much has happened, and with it being Dec. 1, it just runs through my mind what an eventful year it's been. Before I know it, they'll be 1. Their arrival has added so much stress to my life, but it has also added so much joy. Here's to a great last month of 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts