Thursday, April 7, 2011

Are Republicans and Democrats like Husband and Wife?

Early in my current marriage, I remember late nights - we're talking 2 or 3 a.m. - fighting with my husband. We had serious things to fight about, as most married couples do in the beginning.

I won't go into the problems, but they had to be resolved in order to make our relationship work. Our relationship was something we were working on together, to make stable, to make emotionally profitable and to sustain the people within it.



So, obviously, this is an analogy. My marriage is only five years old. The United States government is 235 years old, and the people we have put in charge of making it work are not making it work.

They've had 235 years to bicker, to argue and to get over it, but instead of doing what my husband and I did and working through our problems, they continue to fight.



They continue to fight to the detriment of the people who depend on them. And they don't care. This blows my mind. I figure, as long as they're still getting paid, they don't care. They have no stake in this. Money and pride seem to be the main motivators.

I remember those late nights fighting with my husband. I was RIGHT. And I was going to stay right no matter what the cost. I would be tired to parent effectively in the morning. My head would hurt from the lack of sleep. My throat would hurt from the screaming. My eyes would hurt from the crying. But none of that mattered as long as I was right.



Our country will suffer. People will lose jobs. But gosh darn it as long as the Republicans win, or the Democrats win, it'll all be alright.

In Texas, our educational system is on the verge of collapse. Teachers, who used to have the most job security of all, are wondering how they'll feed their families when they lose their jobs and take pay cuts. Parents of special needs children - I am one, so I know - are having a hard time figuring out how the schools will continue to take care of their children. Parents should be worried enough, seeing the product that is coming out of Texas schools right now, but now they have to worry even more when almost everything is taken from their children.

When this is on the verge of happening in Texas, though, you look at the political agenda right now and have to wonder what the heck people are thinking. They're actually fighting about abortion. They're doing this at the national level, too.

Why?

In my mind, this is like my husband's and my fights early in our marriage. We had big issues on the table, and we had small issues on the table, but all of them were important when we just had to be right.

Is abortion as important as saving our government right now? No, not to me it's not. And I'm guessing to the many federal employees who will lose out on a paycheck starting tomorrow it's not as important either.

We're so far in debt it's ridiculous. My husband and I faced a similar problem recently. My company has been on a salary freeze for four years, and we're now looking at at least two more. The hubs is facing budget cuts next year. And because we didn't expect this, we lived beyond our means for a while, and it caught up with us.

The federal government is in the same predicament. What did we do? Because we're five years in with more experience than when we first got married, we took the small stuff off the list and tackled the big problem. We figured out a way to fix things. We compromised. We each gave a little, as we weren't in agreement on how to fix it. We came to a COMPROMISE.



Has the government done this? No. And because of that, we're looking at a possible shutdown tomorrow.

Maybe that's a good thing. If they're shut down, they can't spend any money, right... ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts