Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Should twins share a room?

When I got pregnant with the twins, I never even though about any situation other than having them share a room. I mean, they were going to share everything anyway, so why would they have a problem sharing a room? I planned a double nursery from the get-go.
I thought being this far away from each other, across the room, would make a difference in their ability to sleep.
I never even thought about having the share a crib.


As we speak (or as I write), they are SUPPOSED to be taking a nap. Instead, they are in there talking to each other because they fell asleep in the car on the way home from the mall and I had to wake them up to bring them inside. One at a time. Which meant the first one I brought in couldn't be put down quickly, quietly and in the dark.

I know many people don't have the space to give twins independent rooms, and I understand that those people may think I'm complaining about something insignificant. But it's really beginning to affect their sleep. So much so that I'm considering moving everyone around and giving them each their own rooms.

Then again, they're getting old enough to understand instruction, like, "Be quiet and go to sleep!" They are also old enough to get a leg pop when they throw their stuff out of the crib, which is one of the main things that they do to keep each other awake. They think it's funny and do it to make each other laugh. Whereas they used to go to sleep without any problems, they're now having trouble going to bed and wake each other up throughout the night. They're really bad about taking naps and, again, keep each other awake talking and laughing. 

Another problem we're having is morning routine. My husband and older son can't help but make noise when they wake up. It's inevitable. But because of that, they wake up an hour to an hour and a half earlier than they should and are cranky. Then they're overtired, which keeps them from taking a good nap during the day. And putting them to bed earlier at night to make up for it just doesn't work. I've tried that and they won't go to sleep. 

What would you guys do? Any suggestions from any other twin moms? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts